Welcome! 登入 註冊
美寶首頁 美寶百科 美寶論壇 美寶落格 美寶地圖

Advanced

Re: [The Wall Street Journal] Mother of Invention

[The Wall Street Journal] Mother of Invention

分類標籤: 興趣  音乐
* JULY 4, 2009, 3:55 P.M. ET

Mother of Invention

Seven years ago, when Björk was pregnant, she decided it was a good idea to also prepare for the delivery of something else: a concert album.

The Icelandic singer-songwriter had been recording her concerts for years, but had never gotten around to going through all the material she had compiled. “I decided to use my nesting hormones to go through 10 years of live recordings,” she says.

Ísadóra, Björk’s second child, was born in 2002. Her new live album, “Voltaic,” a CD/DVD set that was inspired by some of the archival work she did during her pregnancy, was released this week. The album features songs that Björk performed during her Volta tour in 2007.

The 43-year-old singer makes music that melds edgy beats with dreamlike lyrics. She’s known for her whimsical, sometimes provocative ideas, whether in fashion (she famously wore a dress shaped like a swan to the 2001 Academy Awards) or in music (she drew criticism from Chinese authorities for performing her song “Declare Independence” in Shanghai in 2008 and saying “Tibet” at the close of the number).

Björk says her songs often arrive in two parts—the melodies come to her first, and then she searches for the right words to match. The melody for “Hyperballad,” one of the songs on the new live set, haunted her for some time before she finally wrote it down. “It’s good when you have that kind of trust with your subconscious that you can not try to catch a melody or hunt it and if it comes back it means it’s good enough,” she says.

She believes that melodies are ancient things, “buried deep in our genes,” and are found, not created: “Melody is the most intuitive part of the work for me. I just try to let them happen.” Words are harder. She will sit with a cup of tea and try to summon up lyrics. In recent years, she’s been inspired by E.E. Cummings. One track on the new release, “Sonnets/Unrealities XI,” draws from his poetry. “If I was like a hundred-times better poet I would write like him,” she says.

Iceland has been hard hit by the global downturn, and Björk has travelled across the country to motivate her fellow citizens to start small “home-grown” companies. “Artists never know when or if or where their next idea is going to come from,” she says. “In recession times, the experience of being an artist is helpful to people to try to inspire them.”

Re: [The Wall Street Journal] Mother of Invention

分類標籤: 興趣
她的音乐好不好是其次,“旋律是被发现的” 这个概念是对的

She believes that melodies are ancient things, “buried deep in our genes,” and are found, not created.

汉人的乐感那么差,人家同情西藏也是正常的