Welcome! 閮餃
蝢撖園 蝢撖嗥曄 蝢撖嗉憯 蝢撖嗉賣 蝢撖嗅啣

Advanced

Change History

Message: Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way?

Changed By: gustav
Change Date: December 24, 2009 08:11PM

Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way?
Chun-Ying WANG

<div align=center>Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way?
A Proposal</div>

[hr]

<b>What's the problem?</b>

Here I raise a question: whether Kant's transcendental idealism is compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way or not.

The background of the present proposed problem is a care about the conflict between Dignaga and the later Madhyamika thinkers, such as Candrakirti and Santideva, and Dignaga. . On the one hand, the compatibility between Dignaga's epistemic approach and Kant's, especially with regard to their soteriological purpose, is quite defensible in my intuition; on the other, Nagarjuna's middle way seems to me to be identical with the way Kant's transcendental idealism cutting in between the rationalists and the empiricists. On the side of Kant's own, transcendental idealism is the core of his philosophy, and the special idealism and his special epistemology explain each other. If the above two intuitions can be well grounded, maybe there's a way to reconcile the conflict in India, or, on the contrary, if the intuitions are correct and nonetheless the two judgments cannot be reconciled, identify the schizophrenia in Kant's system and in the discussions of his followers. The present proposed question aims at the second intuition above.

[hr]

<b>How's the present scholarship?</b>

It's greatly obliged to many outstanding scholars including Tuck (1990), Wood (1994), 祇撌 (1997), 桀 (1997), 憍靽 (2000), the western philosophical interpretative approaches to Nagarjuna are well organized and introduced. One can thereby find the major scholars who compare Kant and Nagarjuna, or Madhyamika in general, include Stcherbatsky (1927) and Murti (1955); the former initiates the comparison by applying Kantian terminology to his interpretation of Madhyamika classics while the latter conducts a systematical comparison between Nagarjuna and Kant. Ben-Ami Scharfstein (1998), agreeing with Murti, thinks the comparison is promising, even though there indeed exist great differences between Kant and Nagarjuna, rather than the relatively fruitless one of Kant with Dignaga and Dharmakirti (505-06). Westerhoff (2009) also shows his approval of the comparison reconstructing a Nagarjuna's system in terms of a conception of cognitive shift in Madhyamika.

On the contrary, there are also quite a number of scholars disagree with the comparison. Robinson (1957) holds that Kant's or Hegel's metaphysical systems cannot be compatible with any Indian systems at all, and especially that Nagarjuna, or Madhamika in general's, approach is against any metaphysical -ism (extreme), though a logic therein to him is still traceable. 剖飛蝳 (1982) criticizes the western understanding of Nagarjuna in general, arguing that Nagarjuna indeed has no stand at all, which makes himself never compatible with any of the western philosophers.

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Kant amidst dogmatism and speculative metaphysics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already pays attention to Kant's later development of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too sketchy; such a development crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

<b>A proposed approach: a comparison from the very core</b>

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts <i>a priori</i> which relate to objects in experience, or even the whole transcendental philosophy:

<i>That a concept, although itself neither contained in the concept of possible experience nor consisting of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely <i>a priori</i> and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible.</i> (A 95)

The confusion is mainly due to the ignorance of the word produced (<i>erzeugt</i>). If there were concept that were completely produced <i>a priori</i>, that would not be Kant's categories at all, for these pure transcendental concepts only occur in cognition. From this subtle clarification one can find the proof for Kant's stand that the transcendental elements, given aesthetic or logic, are not self-existents, but cognition-dependent. Further, one can find that, behind his struggle between the rationalists and empiricists, Kant actually aims at establishing a middle space between the completely <i>a priori</i> (self-generated devoid of cognition) and the innocent experience. The transcendental elements' being non-self-existent can roughly and for the time being answer to the later Madhyamika thinkers' criticism against <i>pramana</i> as self-existent, and, more importantly here, echo with Nagarjuna's criticism about svabhava. The subtle ignorance occurs to many Kant interpreters, including great figures in German Idealism and those who do not buy his transcendental idealism at all but adore his logic, as the consequence of which no wonder scholars like Ameriks (2006) and 瘛喟 (2009) begin to wonder whether Kant has decent legitimate heirs or not at all. If the kernel of Kant's transcendental idealism has kept being not appreciated enough, what on earth do the scholars like Murti take as materials to compare with Nagarjuna? The present investigation task will proceed with full appreciation of this kernel, strictly follow the middle way in Kant, and compare with Nagarjuna's middle way.

[hr]

Reference:

瘛喟脯摨瑕噸敺摮賂胯蝝嫘嚗臬亙嚗 摨瑕噸銋單踴摮貉閮嚗
瘞98撟湛啣之

桀甇蝢摮貊銝剛脣飛閰桅脩乓雿摮貊蝛嗡葉敹摮詨2嚗瘞86撟07嚗281-307

祇撌銝剛摮貊亥貊株銝銝雿賊尹擗刻蝚砍嚗銝嚗瘞86撟
6/9http://www.gaya.org.tw/journal/m10-11/10-main4.htm

憍靽餈曉僑靘镼踵嫣葉閫蝛嗥閰桅頞典圈粹怠銋撟游漲隢摮賊
敺雿 http://www.yinshun.org.tw/thesis89_08.htm

Ameriks, Karl. The Critique of Metaphysics, in <i>The Cambridge Companion to Kant and
Modern Philosophy</i>. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, p. 279.

Murti, T. R. V. <i>The Central Philosophy of Buddhism: A Study of the Madhyamika System</i>.
London: Allen and Unwin, 1955.

Robinson, Richard H. "Some Logical Aspects of Nagarjuna's System", <i>Philosophy East
and West</i>, 6 (4), 1957, pp. 291-308.

--<i>Early Madhyamika in India and China</i>. Madison: The University of Wisconsin
Press, 1967.

Scharfstein, Ben-Ami. <i>A Comparative History of World Philosophy: from the Upanishads
to Kant</i>. New York: State University of New York Press, 1998.

Stcherbatsky, Th. <i>The Conception of Buddhist Nirvana</i>. Second Revised and Enlarged
Edition from 1927 Ed. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1977.

Tuck, A. P. <i>Comparative Philosophy and the Philosophy of Scholship :On the Western
Interpretation of Nagarjuna</i>. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.

Westerhoff, Jan. <i>Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction</i>. Oxford:
Oxford University Press, 2009.

Wood, T. <i>Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian
Looking- Glass</i>. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. <i>蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰</i>, 1982,
pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 24, 2009 08:10PM

Chun-Ying WANG

<div align=center>Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way?
A Proposal</div>

[hr]

Here I raise a question: whether Kant's transcendental idealism is compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way or not.

The background of the present proposed problem is a care about the conflict between the later Madhyamika thinkers, such as Candrakirti and Santideva, and Dignaga. On the one hand, the compatibility between Dignaga's epistemic approach and Kant's, especially with regard to their soteriological purpose, is quite defensible in my intuition; on the other, Nagarjuna's middle way seems to me to be identical with the way Kant's transcendental idealism cutting in between the rationalists and the empiricists. On the side of Kant's own, transcendental idealism is the core of his philosophy, and the special idealism and his special epistemology explain each other. If the above two intuitions can be well grounded, maybe there's a way to reconcile the conflict in India, or, on the contrary, if the intuitions are correct and nonetheless the two judgments cannot be reconciled, identify the schizophrenia in Kant's system and in the discussions of his followers. The present proposed question aims at the second intuition above.

[hr]

It's greatly obliged to many outstanding scholars including Tuck (1990), Wood (1994), 祇撌 (1997), 桀 (1997), 憍靽 (2000), the western philosophical interpretative approaches to Nagarjuna are well organized and introduced. One can thereby find the major scholars who compare Kant and Nagarjuna, or Madhyamika in general, include Stcherbatsky (1927) and Murti (1955); the former initiates the comparison by applying Kantian terminology to his interpretation of Mdhyamika Madhyamika classics while the latter conducts a systematical comparison between Nagarjuna and Kant. Ben-Ami Scharfstein (1998), agreeing with Murti, thinks the comparison is promising, even though there indeed exist great differences between Kant and Nagarjuna, rather than the relatively fruitless one of Kant with Dignaga and Dharmakirti (505-06). Westerhoff (2009) also shows his approval of the comparison reconstructing a Nagarjuna's system in terms of a conception of cognitive shift in Madhyamika.

On the contrary, there are also quite a number of scholars disagree with the comparison. Robinson (1957) holds that Kant's or Hegel's metaphysical systems cannot be compatible with any Indian systems at all, and especially that Nagarjuna, or Madhamika in general's, approach is against any metaphysical -ism (extreme), though a logic therein to him is still traceable. 剖飛蝳 (1982) criticizes the western understanding of Nagarjuna in general, arguing that Nagarjuna indeed has no stand at all, which makes himself never compatible with any of the western philosophers.

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Kant amidst dogmatism and speculative metaphysics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already pays attention to Kant's later development of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too sketchy; such a development crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts <i>a priori</i> which relate to objects in experience, or even the whole transcendental philosophy:

<i>That a concept, although itself neither contained in the concept of possible experience nor consisting of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely <i>a priori</i> and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible.</i> (A 95)

The confusion is mainly due to the ignorance of the word produced (<i>erzeugt</i>). If there were concept that were completely produced <i>a priori</i>, that would not be Kant's categories at all, for these pure transcendental concepts only occur in cognition. From this subtle clarification one can find the proof for Kant's stand that the transcendental elements, given aesthetic or logic, are not self-existents, but cognition-dependent. Further, one can find that, behind his struggle between the rationalists and empiricists, Kant actually aims at establishing a middle space between the completely <i>a priori</i> (self-generated devoid of cognition) and the innocent experience. The transcendental elements' being non-self-existent can roughly and for the time being answer to the later Madhyamika thinkers' criticism against <i>pramana</i> as self-existent, and, more importantly here, echo with Nagarjuna's criticism about svabhava. The subtle ignorance occurs to many Kant interpreters, including great figures in German Idealism and those who do not buy his transcendental idealism at all but adore his logic, as the consequence of which no wonder scholars like Ameriks (2006) and 瘛喟 (2009) begin to wonder whether Kant has decent legitimate heirs or not at all. If the kernel of Kant's transcendental idealism has kept being not appreciated enough, what on earth do the scholars like Murti take as materials to compare with Nagarjuna? The present investigation task will proceed with full appreciation of this kernel, strictly follow the middle way in Kant, and compare with Nagarjuna's middle way.

[hr]

Reference:

瘞98撟湛啣之

Ameriks, Karl. The Critique of Metaphysics, in <i>The Cambridge Companion to Kant and

Murti, T. R. V. <i>The Central Philosophy of Buddhism: A Study of the Madhyamika System</i>.

Robinson, Richard H. "Some Logical Aspects of Nagarjuna's System", <i>Philosophy East

--<i>Early Madhyamika in India and China</i>. Madison: The University of Wisconsin
Press, 1967.

Scharfstein, Ben-Ami. <i>A Comparative History of World Philosophy: from the Upanishads

Stcherbatsky, Th. <i>The Conception of Buddhist Nirvana</i>. Second Revised and Enlarged

Tuck, A. P. <i>Comparative Philosophy and the Philosophy of Scholship :On the Western

Westerhoff, Jan. <i>Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction</i>. Oxford:

Wood, T. <i>Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 24, 2009 09:46AM

Chun-Ying WANG

A Proposal</div>

[hr]

The background of the present proposed problem is a care about the conflict between the later Madhyamika thinkers, such as Candrakirti and Santideva, and Dignaga. On the one hand, the compatibility between Dignaga's epistemic approach and Kant's, especially with regard to their soteriological purpose, is quite defensible in my intuition; on the other, Nagarjuna's middle way seems to me to be identical with the way Kant's transcendental idealism cutting in between the rationalists and the empiricists. On the side of Kant's own, transcendental idealism is the core of his philosophy, and the special idealism and his special epistemology explain each other. If the above two intuitions can be well grounded, maybe there's a way to reconcile the conflict in India, or, on the contrary, if the intuitions are correct and nonetheless the two judgments cannot be reconciled, identify the schizophrenia in Kant's system and in the discussions of his followers. The present proposed question aims at the second intuition above.

[hr]

It's greatly obliged to many outstanding scholars including Tuck (1990), Wood (1994), 祇撌 (1997), 桀 (1997), 憍靽 (2000), the western philosophical interpretative approaches to Nagarjuna are well organized and introduced. One can thereby find the major scholars who compare Kant and Nagarjuna, or Madhyamika in general, include Stcherbatsky (1927) and Murti (1955); the former initiates the comparison by applying Kantian terminology to his interpretation of Mdhyamika Madhyamika classics while the latter conducts a systematical comparison between Nagarjuna and Kant. Ben-Ami Scharfstein (1998), agreeing with Murti, thinks the comparison is promising, even though there indeed exist great differences between Kant and Nagarjuna, rather than the relatively fruitless one of Kant with Dignaga and Dharmakirti (505-06). Westerhoff (2009) also shows his approval of the comparison reconstructing a Nagarjuna's system in terms of a conception of cognitive shift in Madhyamika.

On the contrary, there are also quite a number of scholars disagree with the comparison. Robinson (1957) holds that Kant's or Hegel's metaphysical systems cannot be compatible with any Indian systems at all, and especially that Nagarjuna, or Madhamika in general's, approach is against any metaphysical -ism (extreme), though a logic therein to him is still traceable. 剖飛蝳 (1982) criticizes the western understanding of Nagarjuna in general, arguing that Nagarjuna indeed has no stand at all, which makes himself never compatible with any of the western philoThe investigation task proposed here ophers.

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka , as well as rationalism and empiricism physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already pays attention to Kant's later development of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too sketchy; such a development crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

[hr]

Reference:

瘞98撟湛啣之

Press, 1967.

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 24, 2009 12:13AM

Chun-Ying WANG

A Proposal</div>

[hr]

[hr]

On the contrary, there are also quite a number of scholars disagree with the comparison. Robinson (1957) holds that Kant's or Hegel's metaphysical systems cannot be compatible with any Indian systems at all, and especially that Nagarjuna, or Madhamika in general's, approach is against any metaphysical -ism (extreme), though a logic therein to him is still traceable. 剖飛蝳 (1982) criticizes the western understanding of Nagarjuna in general, arguing that Nagarjuna indeed has no stand at all, which makes himself never compatible with any of the western philoThe investigation task proposed here ophers.

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already pays attention to Kant's later development of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too sketchy; such a development crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts <i>a priori</i> which relate to objects in experience, o That a concept, although itself neither er ven the whole transcendental philosophy:

<i>That
a concept, although itself neither contained in the concept of possible experience npriori</i>
priori</i> ng of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely <i>a </i> ri</i> and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible.</i> (A 95)

[hr]

Reference:

瘞98撟湛啣之

Press, 1967.

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 24, 2009 12:12AM

Chun-Ying WANG

A Proposal</div>

[hr]

[hr]

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already pays attention to Kant's later development of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too sketchy; such a development crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts <i>a priori</i> which relate to objects in experience, o That a concept, although itself n That a concept, although itself neither ven the whole transcendental philosophy:

<i>That
a concept, although itself neither contained in the concept of possible experience npriori</i>
ng of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely <i>a ri</i> and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible.</i> (A 95)

[hr]

Reference:

瘞98撟湛啣之

Press, 1967.

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 24, 2009 12:07AM

Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Emptiness?Middle Way?
Chun-Ying WANG

A Proposal

[hr]

What's the problem?

[hr]

How's the present scholarship?

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the a priori and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already pays attention to Kant's later development of thought in his Third Critique, but the attention is too sketchy; such a development crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

A proposed approach: a comparison from the very core

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts a priori which relate to objects in experience, o That a concept, although itself n That a concept, although itself neither ven the whole transcendental philosophy:

That
a concept, although itself neither contained in the concept of possible experience npriori

ng of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely a ri and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible. (A 95)

The confusion is mainly due to the ignorance of the word produced (erzeugt). If there were concept that were completely produced a priori, that would not be Kant's categories at all, for these pure transcendental concepts only occur in cognition. From this subtle clarification one can find the proof for Kant's stand that the transcendental elements, given aesthetic or logic, are not self-existents, but cognition-dependent. Further, one can find that, behind his struggle between the rationalists and empiricists, Kant actually aims at establishing a middle space between the completely a priori (self-generated devoid of cognition) and the innocent experience. The transcendental elements' being non-self-existent can roughly and for the time being answer to the later Madhyamika thinkers' criticism against pramana as self-existent, and, more importantly here, echo with Nagarjuna's criticism about svabhava. The subtle ignorance occurs to many Kant interpreters, including great figures in German Idealism and those who do not buy his transcendental idealism at all but adore his logic, as the consequence of which no wonder scholars like Ameriks (2006) and 瘛喟 (2009) begin to wonder whether Kant has decent legitimate heirs or not at all. If the kernel of Kant's transcendental idealism has kept being not appreciated enough, what on earth do the scholars like Murti take as materials to compare with Nagarjuna? The present investigation task will proceed with full appreciation of this kernel, strictly follow the middle way in Kant, and compare with Nagarjuna's middle way.

[hr]

Reference:

瘞98撟湛啣之

Ameriks, Karl. The Critique of Metaphysics, in The Cambridge Companion to Kant and
Modern Philosophy
. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, p. 279.

Murti, T. R. V. The Central Philosophy of Buddhism: A Study of the Madhyamika System.

Robinson, Richard H. "Some Logical Aspects of Nagarjuna's System", Philosophy East
and West
, 6 (4), 1957, pp. 291-308.

--Early Madhyamika in India and China. Madison: The University of Wisconsin
Press, 1967.

Scharfstein, Ben-Ami. A Comparative History of World Philosophy: from the Upanishads
to Kant
. New York: State University of New York Press, 1998.

Stcherbatsky, Th. The Conception of Buddhist Nirvana. Second Revised and Enlarged

Tuck, A. P. Comparative Philosophy and the Philosophy of Scholship :On the Western
Interpretation of Nagarjuna
. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.

Westerhoff, Jan. Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction. Oxford:

Wood, T. Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian
Looking- Glass
. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. 蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰, 1982,
pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 24, 2009 12:01AM

Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Emptiness?
Chun-Ying WANG

A Proposal</div>

[hr]

[hr]

On the contrary, there are also quite a number of scholars disagree with the comparison. Robinson (1957) holds that Kant's or Hegel's metaphysical systems cannot be compatible with any Indian systems at all, and especially that Nagarjuna, or Madhamika in general's, approach is against any metaphysical -ism (extreme), though a logic therein to him is still traceable. 剖飛蝳 (1982) criticizes the western understanding of Nagarjuna in general, arguing that Nagarjuna indeed has no stand at all, which makes himself never compatible with any of the western philoThe investigation task proposed here he investigation task proposed here ophers.

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already; , but the attention is too sketchy; lopment of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too skettask.
proposed task as well.
crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts <i>a priori</i> which relate to objects in experience, o That a concept, although itself n That a concept, although itself neither ven the whole transcendental philosophy:

<i>That
ng of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely <i>a ri</i> and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible.</i> (A 95)

[hr]

Reference:

瘞98撟湛啣之

Press, 1967.

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 23, 2009 11:58PM

Chun-Ying WANG

A Proposal
</div>

[hr]

[hr]

On the contrary, there are also quite a number of scholars disagree with the comparison. Robinson (1957) holds that Kant's or Hegel's metaphysical systems cannot be compatible with any Indian systems at all, and especially that Nagarjuna, or Madhamika in general's, approach is against any metaphysical -ism (extreme), though a logic therein to him is still traceable. 剖飛蝳 (1982) criticizes the western understanding of Nagarjuna in general, arguing that Nagarjuna indeed has no stand at all, which makes himself never compatible with any of the western philoThe investigation task proposed here he investigation task proposed here ophers.

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already; lopment of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too skettask.
crucially participates in the clarification in the present proposed task as well.

[hr]

<i>That

The confusion is mainly due to the ignorance of the word produced (<i>erzeugt</i>). If there were concept that were completely produced <i>a priori</i>, that would not be Kant's categories at all, for these pure transcendental concepts only occur in cognition. From this subtle clarification one can find the proof for Kant's stand that the transcendental elements, given aesthetic or logic, are not self-existents, but cognition-dependent. Further, one can find that, behind his struggle between the rationalists and empiricists, Kant actually aims at establishing a middle space between the completely <i>a priori</i> (self-generated devoid of cognition) and the innocent experience. The transcendental elements' being non-self-existent can roughly and for the time being answer to the later Madhyamika thinkers' criticism against <i>pramana</i> as self-existent, and, more importantly here, echo with Nagarjuna's criticism about svabhava. The subtle ignorance occurs to many Kant interpreters, including great figures in German Idealism and those who do not buy his transcendental idealism at all but adore his logic, as the consequence of which no wonder scholars like Ameriks (2006) and 瘛喟 (2009) begin to wonder whether Kant has decent legitimate heirs or not at all. If the kernel of Kant's transcendental idealism has kept being not appreciated enough, what on earth do the scholars like Murti take as materials to compare with Nagarjuna? The present investigat瘛喟脯摨瑕噸敺摮賂胯蝝嫘嚗臬亙嚗 摨瑕噸銋單踴摮貉閮嚗瘞98撟湛啣之

祇撌銝剛摮貊亥貊株銝銝雿賊尹擗刻蝚砍嚗銝嚗瘞86撟 6/9
http://www.gaya.org.tw/journal/m10-11/10-main4.htm

憍靽餈曉僑靘镼踵嫣葉閫蝛嗥閰桅頞典圈粹怠銋撟游漲隢摮賊敺雿 http://www.yinshun.org.tw/thesis89_08.htm

Ameriks, Karl. The Critique of Metaphysics, in <i>The Cambridge Companion to Kant and Modern Philosophy</i>. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, p. 279.

Murti, T. R. V. <i>The Central Philosophy of Buddhism: A Study of the Madhyamika System</i>. London: Allen and Unwin, 1955.

Robinson, Richard H. "Some Logical Aspects of Nagarjuna's System", <i>Philosophy East and West</i>, 6 (4), 1957, pp. 291-308.

<i>Early Madhyamika in India and China</i>. Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1967.

Scharfstein, Ben-Ami. <i>A Comparative History of World Philosophy: from the Upanishads to Kant</i>. New York: State University of New York Press, 1998.

Stcherbatsky, Th. <i>The Conception of Buddhist Nirvana</i>. Second Revised and Enlarged Edition from 1927 Ed. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1977.

Tuck, A. P. <i>Comparative Philosophy and the Philosophy of Scholship :On the Western Interpretation of Nagarjuna</i>. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.

Westerhoff, Jan. <i>Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction</i>. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.

Wood, T. <i>Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian Looking- Glass</i>. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. <i>蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰</i>, 1982, pp. 53-81.
銝剛脣飛閰桅脩乓雿摮貊蝛嗡葉敹摮詨2嚗瘞86撟07嚗281-307

Press, 1967.

pp. 53-81.
l Introduction</i>. Oxford:

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 23, 2009 11:55PM

Chun-Ying WANG

<div align=center>Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Middle Way?</div>

[hr]

[hr]

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the <i>a priori</i> and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already; lopment of thought in his Third <i>Critique</i>, but the attention is too skettask.

[hr]

<i>That

The confusion is mainly due to the ignorance of the word produced (<i>erzeugt</i>). If there were concept that were completely produced <i>a priori</i>, that would not be Kant's categories at all, for these pure transcendental concepts only occur in cognition. From this subtle clarification one can find the proof for Kant's stand that the transcendental elements, given aesthetic or logic, are not self-existents, but cognition-dependent. Further, one can find that, behind his struggle between the rationalists and empiricists, Kant actually aims at establishing a middle space between the completely <i>a priori</i> (self-generated devoid of cognition) and the innocent experience. The transcendental elements' being non-self-existent can roughly and for the time being answer to the later Madhyamika thinkers' criticism against <i>pramana</i> as self-existent, and, more importantly here, echo with Nagarjuna's criticism about svabhava. The subtle ignorance occurs to many Kant interpreters, including great figures in German Idealism and those who do not buy his transcendental idealism at all but adore his logic, as the consequence of which no wonder scholars like Ameriks (2006) and 瘛喟 (2009) begin to wonder whether Kant has decent legitimate heirs or not at all. If the kernel of Kant's transcendental idealism has kept being not appreciated enough, what on earth do the scholars like Murti take as materials to compare with Nagarjuna? The present investigat瘛喟脯摨瑕噸敺摮賂胯蝝嫘嚗臬亙嚗 摨瑕噸銋單踴摮貉閮嚗瘞98撟湛啣之

Ameriks, Karl. The Critique of Metaphysics, in <i>The Cambridge Companion to Kant and Modern Philosophy</i>. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, p. 279.

Murti, T. R. V. <i>The Central Philosophy of Buddhism: A Study of the Madhyamika System</i>. London: Allen and Unwin, 1955.

Robinson, Richard H. "Some Logical Aspects of Nagarjuna's System", <i>Philosophy East and West</i>, 6 (4), 1957, pp. 291-308.

<i>Early Madhyamika in India and China</i>. Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1967.

Scharfstein, Ben-Ami. <i>A Comparative History of World Philosophy: from the Upanishads to Kant</i>. New York: State University of New York Press, 1998.

Stcherbatsky, Th. <i>The Conception of Buddhist Nirvana</i>. Second Revised and Enlarged Edition from 1927 Ed. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1977.

Tuck, A. P. <i>Comparative Philosophy and the Philosophy of Scholship :On the Western Interpretation of Nagarjuna</i>. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.

Westerhoff, Jan. <i>Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction</i>. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.

Wood, T. <i>Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian Looking- Glass</i>. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. <i>蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰</i>, 1982, pp. 53-81.l Introduction</i>. Oxford:

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 23, 2009 11:54PM

<div align=center>Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's EmptinessMiddle Way?</div>

[hr]

Here I raise a question: whether Kant's transcendental idealism is compatible with Nagarjuna's Emptiness Middle Way or not.

[hr]

[hr]

<i>That

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. <i>蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰</i>, 1982, pp. 53-81.l Introduction</i>. Oxford:

pp. 53-81.
Change Date: December 23, 2009 11:53PM

<div align=center>Is Kant's Transcendental Idealism Compatible with Nagarjuna's Emptiness?
</div>

[hr]

Here I raise a question: whether Kant's transcendental idealism is compatible with Nagarjuna's Emptiness or not.

[hr]

[hr]

<i>That

pp. 53-81.

Original Message

雿: gustav
Date: December 23, 2009 11:53PM

[hr]

What's the problem?

Here I raise a question: whether Kant's transcendental idealism is compatible with Nagarjuna's Emptiness or not.

[hr]

How's the present scholarship?

The investigation task proposed here is not going to directly answer to the opponents. The task also distinguishes itself from the above-mentioned by starting the comparison with an intrinsic clarification of the core in Kant's critical philosophy: transcendental idealism, which shall go further than Murti's putting Ka physics, as well as rationalism and empiricism (293); in stead, the clarification puts Kant amidst the a priori and experience. Besides, Scharfstein already; lopment of thought in his Third Critique, but the attention is too skettask.

[hr]

A proposed approach: a comparison from the very core

Kant starts his Transcendental Deduction (1st Edition) with a very confusing paragraph which makes many people even think Kant contradicts his own goal of the deduction here, to prove that there indeed exist concepts a priori which relate to objects in experience, o That a concept, although itself n That a concept, although itself neither ven the whole transcendental philosophy:

That
a concept, although itself neither contained in the concept of possible experience npriori

ng of elements of a possible experience, should be produced completely a ri and should relate to an object, is altogether contradictory and impossible. (A 95)

The confusion is mainly due to the ignorance of the word produced (erzeugt). If there were concept that were completely produced a priori, that would not be Kant's categories at all, for these pure transcendental concepts only occur in cognition. From this subtle clarification one can find the proof for Kant's stand that the transcendental elements, given aesthetic or logic, are not self-existents, but cognition-dependent. Further, one can find that, behind his struggle between the rationalists and empiricists, Kant actually aims at establishing a middle space between the completely a priori (self-generated devoid of cognition) and the innocent experience. The transcendental elements' being non-self-existent can roughly and for the time being answer to the later Madhyamika thinkers' criticism against pramana as self-existent, and, more importantly here, echo with Nagarjuna's criticism about svabhava. The subtle ignorance occurs to many Kant interpreters, including great figures in German Idealism and those who do not buy his transcendental idealism at all but adore his logic, as the consequence of which no wonder scholars like Ameriks (2006) and 瘛喟 (2009) begin to wonder whether Kant has decent legitimate heirs or not at all. If the kernel of Kant's transcendental idealism has kept being not appreciated enough, what on earth do the scholars like Murti take as materials to compare with Nagarjuna? The present investigat瘛喟脯摨瑕噸敺摮賂胯蝝嫘嚗臬亙嚗 摨瑕噸銋單踴摮貉閮嚗瘞98撟湛啣之

Ameriks, Karl. The Critique of Metaphysics, in The Cambridge Companion to Kant and Modern Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, p. 279.

Murti, T. R. V. The Central Philosophy of Buddhism: A Study of the Madhyamika System. London: Allen and Unwin, 1955.

Robinson, Richard H. "Some Logical Aspects of Nagarjuna's System", Philosophy East and West, 6 (4), 1957, pp. 291-308.

Early Madhyamika in India and China. Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1967.

Scharfstein, Ben-Ami. A Comparative History of World Philosophy: from the Upanishads to Kant. New York: State University of New York Press, 1998.

Stcherbatsky, Th. The Conception of Buddhist Nirvana. Second Revised and Enlarged Edition from 1927 Ed. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1977.

Tuck, A. P. Comparative Philosophy and the Philosophy of Scholship :On the Western Interpretation of Nagarjuna. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.

Westerhoff, Jan. Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.

Wood, T. Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian Looking- Glass. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. 蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰, 1982, pp. 53-81.l Introduction. Oxford:

Wood, T. Nagarjunian Disputations : A Philosophical Journey Through an Indian
Looking- Glass
. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.

, 摮貊旨. Madhyamika, Kant and Wittgenstein. 蝡箇憭批飛脣飛隢閰, 1982,
pp. 53-81.